Experienced North Carolina Attorneys Who Get Results Explain
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in North Carolina, at some point the question of financial compensation will come up. You will have to deal with insurance companies. It’s easy enough to find the steps for filing a claim and you may be thinking you can handle this yourself. Do you even need a car accident lawyer?
At Brent Adams & Associates, we understand why you would think that. Your case may not seem that complicated. The accident may seem too minor to involve a lawyer. And hiring a North Carolina car accident lawyer may seem like dragging the process on for much longer. You just want to get this over with so you can get on with your life.
But there are some things you should think about first. Is the insurance company treating you fairly? Could you be eligible to receive even more financial compensation than the amount they are offering? You may be thinking about not getting a lawyer. But the insurance company definitely has lawyers. Their job is to save insurance companies money by finding ways to pay you less.
How Can A Car Accident Attorney Help Me?
You might think you don’t need a lawyer, especially if another driver clearly caused your collision. But the reality is many car accident claims quickly turn into complicated legal cases. Here are some of the things a North Carolina car accident lawyer can do for you:
- Investigate your crash – We can get the facts about what happened. There are many ways we do this. We carefully review all documentation, such as accident reports and medical records. We gather and take steps to preserve evidence. If there were witnesses, we identify them and interview them about what they saw.
- Get your accident report – The investigating police officer will fill out an accident report for your crash. This report is officially called a Crash Report Form DMV-349 in North Carolina. We can obtain a copy of your North Carolina car accident report, review it with you and make sure it’s accurate.
- Obtain video footage – Many times, there’s video footage of your accident. Whether it’s dash cam footage, traffic camera footage or video footage from a security camera, we will work to obtain such important evidence before it’s lost or destroyed.
- Interview witnesses – If someone saw your accident, their statement can be an important piece of evidence in support of your car accident claim. We can interview eyewitnesses who saw your crash and use their statements to build a strong legal case.
- Consult experts – If needed, we talk to accident reconstruction experts and other specialists who can help us understand the factors that led to the accident.
- Build a case to prove negligence – It’s common for negligent drivers to deny doing anything wrong and to refuse to accept responsibility. The insurance company may stand by them and may even try to blame you for causing the crash. If another driver’s negligence caused the accident that left you hurt, we use the results of our investigation and any expert consultations to build a case insurance companies have to take seriously.
- Determine the total amount of damages you suffered – Insurance companies may try to offer you a lowball settlement. That’s not good enough. We consider all the damages you suffered. This includes medical expenses for treating your injuries, both now and in the future. It includes lost wages if you wouldn’t work. You may also deserve compensation for other damages, such as pain and suffering.
- Make sure you receive necessary medical treatment – Your health is our top priority and we can help you get the medical treatment you need.
- Review any settlement offers – Many times, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will make a financial offer to settle your case. We can help you carefully review such offers since they might not contain all the money you rightfully deserve for all your accident-related expenses.
- Negotiate with the insurance company – The goal of insurance companies is to pay you less. Our lawyers have a thorough understanding of the tactics they use against you and know how to respond. We can negotiate a settlement that meets your needs.
- File a car accident lawsuit if necessary – Sometimes, the best way to get the car accident compensation you deserve is to file a lawsuit seeking damages (financial compensation). We know how to file a lawsuit in North Carolina and can handle the entire process.
- Fight for you in court – Some lawyers don’t really want to go to trial. Not us. We are committed to getting you maximum compensation. If the insurance companies want to fight us in court, we won’t back down until we get results for you.
How much is all that going to cost you? Nothing. We work on a contingency fee basis. That means we pay all the costs of moving your case forward. Our fee comes out of the compensation the insurance company pays. If you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation. It costs nothing to talk to us, either. We can review the details of your case, discuss your legal options and answer your questions.