SSD Determination: Dunn Social Security Disability Attorney Explains Process (Part B)

If Your Social Security Disability Claim is Denied

If your claim was denied, the file will be sent back to the field office. It is extremely important that you exercise your right to appeal the SSD determination, instead of starting a new application which will put you at the back of the line. When you appeal the decision, your claim for benefits will either be reconsidered or go straight to an administrative law judge (ALJ) for a court hearing.

If you receive a hearing date (in most instances, this can take up to a year), it is critical that you: 1) attend; and 2) consult a Dunn Social Security Disability Attorney as soon as possible. Why? Often times, you will be asked to testify at your disability hearing and given the opportunity to cross-examine medical and/or vocational experts brought in by Social Security to testify against you. Since most people are not trained in representing themselves in court or cross-examining industry experts, it is a job better left to an experienced professional.

If the ALJ approved your claim, your file will be sent back to the field office for payment. If the ALJ denies your claim, you should again exercise your right to appeal the decision with the Appeals Council.

The Appeals Council can do one of several things:

  • find you disabled;
  • deny your appeal; or
  • ask for another hearing.

If your claim is denied by the Appeals Council, your last resort is to go to the United States Federal Court and file a civil suit.

Contact a Dunn Social Security Attorney

Hiring an attorney can be a smart move. An attorney can review your case and complete and submit all the required paperwork. An attorney is familiar with Social Security disability laws and has experience handling a variety of cases.

Brent Adams is a Dunn Social Security disability attorney who focuses on his clients and makes sure they get their desired results. If you are filing for a social security claim, contact his office today at 1-800-849-5931.