Although you may think that dog bites and dog attacks are rare, they are much more common than you might think. With around 75 million dogs living in the United States alone, dog bites and dog attacks happen every year, with many of those attacks leading to scarring, nerve damage, serious injury, and even death. Here are some national dog bite statistics:
- North Carolina was one of the top two states in the US for the number of fatal dog attacks in 2012
- California paid out the most in dog bite-related injury settlements in 2012. Read about the Top 5 States for Dog Bite Injury Claims.
- Dog bites are the fifth most frequent cause of Emergency Room visits for children, and each year 368,000 people visit the hospital because of a dog bite injury, according to the Center for Disease Control.
- 1 out of every 6 bites - 800,000 a year - are serious enough to require professional medical attention
- There were 33 fatal dog attacks in 2007 according to the Canine Homicides website
- Around 6,000 letter carriers were bitten annually in 2012, according to the US Postal Service.
- 2% of Americans are hurt by a dog annually (CDC)
- Dog attack victims lose over $1 billion each year in medical bills and lost wages according to the State Farm Times. Many think this number is a low estimate!
- Dog bite incidents and attack rates have risen drastically in the last 20 years - perhaps as much as 36% between 1986-1994
- Most people are attacked and bitten by dogs they know
- Over half of dog bite attacks happen on the victim's own property
As you can see, dog bites and canine homicides are more prevalent than you might have thought - and the dogs most likely to harm you are not unneutered strays, but rather the pets of your friends, family, and loved ones. The statistics also reveal that dog bites are more than a physical trauma - they can be expensive and have long-term psychological, emotional, and financial consequences. If you have been bitten or attacked by a dog, schedule a free case evaluation with our North Carolina dog bite lawyers. 877-BRENT-ADAMS