Who decides whether a workers' comp claim will be paid if my employer refuses to pay voluntarily?

If an employer refuses to voluntarily pay worker compensation benefits, the North Carolina Industrial Commission can hear the worker's case can be heard and the IC might force the employer to issue benefits. 

The case is initially heard by a deputy industrial commissioner. However, either party has a right to appeal a deputy commissioner’s decision to the full Industrial Commission. This process might be long, but our North Carolina workers' comp attorneys can explain how to effectively prepare documents, prepare evidence of a work-related injury or illness, and help ensure your case is properly prepared for officials.