On August 13, a 34-year-old subcontractor required emergency air transport to the hospital for the personal injuries he suffered when he was shocked and knocked unconscious while working on an electrical system at the wastewater treatment plant in Holly Springs, according to a town official.
As of that afternoon, officials had not released the name of the injured worker.
The worker received emergency transport to the Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill. According to a release from Holly Springs spokeswoman Joni Powell on the day of the incident, his condition was listed as critical but stable.
According to Powell, the worker is an employee of Via Electric Co. in Garner. The company was doing subcontracting work at the Utley Wastewater Treatment Plant near N.C. 55.
Powell said that shortly before 11 a.m., the man was struck in the head by electricity that arced from a 480-volt panel, knocking him unconscious.
CPR was performed on the man by a town employee after he had stopped breathing and appeared to have no pulse.
Paramedics responded to the scene and immediately began treatment. By the time he was transported to WakeMed in Raleigh, he had a pulse and was breathing. Powell said he was later airlifted to Chapel Hill.