A woman filed a personal injury suit against a McDonald’s in her area after she claimed she was struck in the back of the head by an electric sliding door as she was eating.
On August 19, Lula Haynes filed the suit naming McDonald’s and store manager Paul McGervey as defendants.
The suit says that on April 30, 2007, Haynes was a patron at the McDonald’s. She alleges that she was sitting at the table near the door leading to the children’s play area in a seat that was in the opening path of the sliding glass door. While she was eating, the door slid open and struck her on the back of the head and she required medical attention.
According to Haynes, because of her injuries she required hospitalization, physical therapy, and in-house nursing care. She claims she incurred significant medical expenses which placed an undue financial burden on her.
Haynes is claiming that she suffered permanent injuries, loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, medical care, hospital treatment and mental anguish.
Premises liability could stem in several ways here. Was the establishment responsible for not relocating customer seats a safe distance away from the doors? Were signs alerting to the potential danger not visible or not present? Was the manufacturer of the doors responsible for malfunctioning service? All of these items will likely be addressed in this victim's case. Click here for more information about premises liability cases in North Carolina.