SSI Redetermination When a Child Turns 18

Consulting a Dunn Social Security attorney can help you understand SSI qualifications for children. These benefits can help a disabled child when there are limited resources and income available. 

According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), the average monthly payment given to children is $621.30. Of course, the amount your child may qualify for will depend on several factors. 

Many parents wonder what happens once a child turns 18. Will he or she still be able to receive SSI? 

In most cases a redetermination will need to be made. No longer having to meet the requirements of disability as a child, he or she will now need to meet the definitions of disability as an adult. 

The good news is that both definitions are similar. However, one of the differences that may impact your case is the fact that children’s limitations are based on functioning abilities. As an adult, the focus is on whether or not he or she can work. 

Entering the workforce may or may not be possible for a disabled young adult. Therefore, SSA will make this determination based on limitations experienced while in school (such as difficulty concentrating or ability to interact with others), any work or volunteer experience prior to turning 18, and input from others on how well he or she could handle stress in a work environment. 

The following are some of the resources that will be contacted in order to determine if your child still qualifies for SSI as an adult: 

  • physicians;
  • therapists;
  • social workers;
  • family members;
  • community members;
  • schools; and
  • others who have worked with or treated your child. 

Because SSI qualifications for children can be different than those for an adult, you might benefit from seeking legal counsel.  

Contacting a Dunn Social Security Attorney 

Speaking with a Social Security disability attorney at Brent Adams & Associates can help you learn if you qualify to receive Social Security disability benefits. Call to schedule your free consultation – 1-800-849-5931 or 1-910-892-8177.                   

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment