Consulting with a disability attorney in Raleigh is the best way to know if you qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). One of the requirements is that you must have limited resources in addition to limited income.
Resources are the things you own, such as your:
- vehicle (if you own more than one);
- bank accounts;
- life insurance;
- stocks; and
- other things that could be used to help pay for food and shelter.
However, not all resources are counted.
The following are examples of resources that are not counted for SSI:
- house and the land it’s on;
- one vehicle (if used for transporting yourself or family members);
- household goods;
- personal effects;
- burial plots for yourself or immediate family members;
- burial funds for yourself and spouse (each valued at $1,500 or below);
- life insurance polices (combined face value of $1,500 or below); and
- retroactive SSD or SSI benefits (up to nine months after receiving them).
Determining these and other SSI requirements can be complicated, which is why many individuals considering whether they qualify often benefit in seeking legal counsel.
Contacting a Disability Attorney in Raleigh
Speaking with a lawyer at Brent Adams & Associates can help you learn if you qualify to receive Social Security disability benefits. Call to schedule your free consultation with a disability attorney in Raleigh – 800-849-5931 or 910-892-8177.