On Friday, June 19, Nestle USA issued a recall for its Toll House refrigerated cookie dough products because of a potential personal injury risk after a number of people who consumed the cookie dough raw said they fell ill.
According to the company, the Centers for Disease Control are currently investigating the reported cases of E. coli illness that may have a connection to consumption of the dough.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration released a statement saying that it has received 66 reports of illnesses from 28 states since March. Approximately 25 people have been sent to the hospital, but so far no deaths have been reported.
The FDA has advised that consumers dispose of all prepackaged, refrigerated Nestle Toll House cookie dough products in their household. They have also advised that retailers, restaurant owners, and food-service employees not sell or serve the products.
Nestle spokeswoman Roz O’Hearn says that the company has moved quickly, taking action within 24 hours of learning about the issue. She says the FDA will have Nestle’s full cooperation.
Included in the recall are the refrigerated cookie bar dough, cookie dough tub, cookie dough tubes, limited edition cookie dough items, seasonal cookie dough and Ultimates cookie bar dough. The recall includes chocolate chip dough in addition to other varieties, such as gingerbread, sugar, and peanut butter. No other products, including ice cream containing the cookie dough, are affected.
The FDA also recommends not cooking the dough, despite the fact that it is safe to eat cooked dough, as consumers could get bacteria on their hands, counters, and other cooking surfaces.
E. coli is a potentially fatal bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in extreme cases, kidney failure.