A man has filed suit against a Chicago, Illinois resident for the personal injuries he sustained from the 9-foot tapeworm he allegedly got from consuming undercooked fish at the restaurant.
On Monday, August 18, Anthony Franz filed suit against Shaw’s Crab House claiming that in 2006, he fell violently ill after consuming a salmon salad while eating lunch at the restaurant. He said that he later passed the massive parasite, which a pathologist determined had originated from undercooked fish, such as salmon.
Franz seeks damages in excess of $100,000 from defendants Shaw and Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, Shaw’s parent company.
Franz alleges negligence on the part of Shaw’s and its staff for their failure to serve him fish that had been properly cooked.
However, Lettuce Entertain You’s president of food safety Carrol Symank claims that the tapeworm didn’t originate from Shaw’s. She said they did a “thorough investigation” and were “confident” the parasite’s source was elsewhere.
According to mayoclinic.com, tapeworms can grow up to 50 feet in length.