How Do You Start the Workers’ Comp Process in NC?

Our NC workers’ compensations lawyers often get phone calls from injured workers who don’t know where to start when they’re ready to file for benefits. There are only a few steps you need to take to start your claim process to ensure your case review will rule in your favor.


  1. Visit your doctor for treatment of your injury and make sure they record in your medical files that your injury was caused or worsened by a workplace accident. This will provide proof of your earliest documented healthcare for your work injury.
  2. File an accident report in writing to your employer within 30 days of the on-the-job injury. The letter doesn’t need to be complicated and will simply state the day and time of the accident and a brief explanation of how it happened. It can be written to a supervisor or manager. When an employer receives this letter, they should immediately contact their workers’ comp insurance provider, which should start to pay the injured workers’ medical bills and a percentage of the workers’ income.
  3. File a Form 18 with the NC Industrial Commission. The Workers’ Comp Act requires all injured workers who apply for benefits to file a Form 18 within 2 years of the date of injury or illness. You (or your NC workers’ comp attorney if you retained one) must file the document with the Industrial Commission, send a copy to your employer, and keep a copy for your own records.


Many workers’ comp insurance providers will deny coverage, and the NC Industrial Commission has a record with no shortage of benefit denials. Filing an appeal after your NC workers’ comp claim was denied requires even more attention to the little details surrounding your injury case. There is no cost to consult with a workers’ comp attorney in Raleigh, Fayetteville or Dunn with Brent Adams & Associates, and our injury lawyers only get paid when you do.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment