NC Nursing Home Attorney: Could Your Nursing Home Be Infested?In Smithfield, North Carolina, a nursing home was fumigated after being infested with mice and cockroaches for several years. In Wake County, North Carolina, a nursing home was investigated after reports of a bed bug infestation. In Wilmington, North Carolina, a nursing home was found to contain toxic mold.
Unfortunately, these infestations aren’t just creepy and dirty – they can also be extremely dangerous to the health of our elder loved ones. Let’s take a closer look at some common nursing home infestations and their dangers:
- Cockroaches. There’s a reason we squirm when we see cockroaches – they can carry germs and diseases as well as cause allergies. Cockroach infestations are also often a sign of a dirty (and possibly dangerous) environment.
- Bed bugs. Bed bugs can cause extremely itchy bites and lower the quality of life of anyone exposed. They can also cause emotional trauma and sleep disturbances.
- Mites and scabies. Mites can cause scabies – a skin infection that causes itchy blisters. Scabies can be especially prevalent in nursing homes and the health condition can be hard to treat in elderly patients.
- Mold. While some mold is harmless, other molds can release deadly or toxic spores into the air. Other molds can cause severe allergic reactions in some. Still others can cause fungal infections on the skin and in the lungs.
- Mice and rats. Rodents can carry a number of extremely hazardous diseases, including hantavirus, typhus, salmonella, and leptospirosis. Rat scratches and bites can lead to a bacterial infection called rat bite fever (RBF).
As you might guess, these types of infestations are not just dangers themselves – they are also signs that the nursing home has other issues such as poorly train staff members, unclean procedures, building structural issues, and general patient neglect. While some infestations may simply be bad luck (and handled quickly and thoroughly by the nursing home) others are red flags that an adult care facility is lacking.
Has an elder loved one close to you suffered harm due to a North Carolina nursing home infestation? Contact a NC nursing home attorney at Brent Adams & Associates today to discuss your case with an experienced lawyer.